The tourist village of Sauraha, at the main gateway of Chitwan National Park in Nepal, is gearing up to host the 7th International Elephant Race. It will be held from December 26-28, 2010. This race started in 2004 with the prime objectives of drawing attention to the reducing number of elephants in Chitwan, and to promote tourism in the area.
Along with Elephant Safaris, tourists at Sauraha can enjoy the following activities:
- International Elephant Race
- Sighting of Elephant Procession (march past),
- Elephant Bathing,
- Traditional Elephant Decoration
- Elephant Soccer Match
- Photo Exhibition & Documentary Shows depicting the Life Cycle of Elephants
- Canoeing, Ox Cart & Horse Racing
- Cultural Program
- Food Festival
Enjoy this Christmas and bring in the New year with happy elephants! Happy Journey!